Press Release of FSSAI dated 20th April, 2021 giving directions for facilitating food business during covid 19
To facilitate the continuity of food business operations during the prevailing COVID-19 outbreak, the Food Safety & Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has taken immediate steps to ensure uninterrupted food services/supply during the current scenario.
FSSAI has reiterated and clarified that Import clearances of food items and testing services by FSSAI’s notified
laboratories (including both public and private laboratories) are Essential Services.
Directions, with immediate effect have been issued to:
- Allow FBOs, other than manufacturers, to temporarily operate their businesses on the basis of a valid receipt
of FSSAI license/ registration application having 17- digit Application Reference Number (ARN) generated
upon online application and fee payment on FoSCoS. This will enable quick expansion of logistic supply
chains, warehouses, retail outlets, catering, food service establishments etc. wherever required. New
businesses can start operating once they successfully file a complete application on FOSCOS. This is an
interim relief measure, the licence/ registration will need to be secured before the expiry of the relaxation.
- Manufacturers are allowed to increase/ enhance their capacity, on the basis of a valid receipt of FSSAI
license/ registration application having 17- digit Application Reference Number (ARN) generated upon
online application and fee payment on FoSCoS. This will enable immediate upscaling of production facilities
without waiting for regulatory approvals.
- No routine inspections are required to be done except in case of high risk food product viz. Milk and milk
products, slaughter houses, meat and meat products etc. However, food safety authorities can conduct
inspections in case of select cases on basis of risk profiling or in case of any food emergency/ incidents and
complaints. Where feasible, inspections can be done by e-inspection.
- The deadline for returns for 2020-21 has been extended till 30th, June 2021. All returns are required to be
filed online on FOSCOS.
- No penalty shall be payable for late filing of application for renewal of licenses.
These measures are until and shall cease w.e.f. 30.06.2021 irrespective of the status of lockdown/ curfew/ containment at any location. More details are available at http://www.fssai.gov.in